Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Backyard Condiments

Acrylic polymer emulsion on gessoed hardboard, 12 x 16"
Painted Dec. 2006 - Feb. 11, 2007, #116.


I did my first original painting in 1987, at the age of 25. At that time I knew very little about fine art. My attraction was more toward photography, media and commercial art. I knew what I liked visually. My first painting was of my new bride Suzanne, sunbathing in Daytona Beach with a Coca-Cola paper cup with straw and a bottle of Coppertone sunscreen in the foreground. It was only a few years later that I would discover photorealism and art depicting commercial items. Minus the diner setting,this image is not necessarily an homage to Ralph Goings, but his images has certainly permeated by sub-conscious. Although he is certainly an influential artist that I've admired especially after viewing his art at the O.K. Harris Gallery in NYC and through art books written by Louis K. Meisel.
-SOLD