Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Cherry & Lime JELL-O

Acrylic polymer emulsion on gessoed hardboard, 12 x 12"
Painted September 3 - 15, 2007, #128

It is always interesting to do a bit of research when doing a painting. Gelatin is a very old product and was popularized during the Victorian era, when they started serving it in elaborate jelly moulds. The name brand JELL-O dates back to 1897. The gelatin actually comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones and connective tissues. It has been a part of my own landscape since I was young. Growing up, I was a nose bleeder and Mom would often serve me this jiggly dessert, saying it was good to prevent nosebleeds. It is a staple food in many hospital settings. Served at the cafeteria and on every third tray to patients. I currently work as a nurse in the outpatient's department, where I regularly assist in an endoscopy clinic. If you are scheduled for a colonoscopy, you'll be on a strict diet of clear fluids, broths and the proverbial JELL-O for two days. Maybe now, you won't be able to find any pleasure at looking at this painting. Nonetheless, I've always considered it as a comfort food and I still like it after all this time, especially with fruits and whipped cream.


- SOLD


5 comments:

  1. Bonjour Alvin!
    C'est super de pouvoir voir tes peintures via ton blog. Elles sont très belles!

    Au plaisir de se voir bientôt!

    Isa xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci beaucoup Isabelle d'avoir visité mon blog, j'espère que tout va bien avec toi! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this, the vibrant colours of my childhood. You do fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one really made me smile! I've always loved the look of Jell-O. Years ago, my youngest son requested Jell-O rather than a cake for his birthday. It was a beautiful sight, lit with candles in a dark room!

    Did you set this up on a sheet of aluminum foil? It's just dazzling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you A REASON TO PAINT, much appreciated!

    -------------

    Hi Liz,
    Thank you for sharing your story, that sounds like the genesis of a painting in itself! I did set it on aluminium foil...the blue comes from the sky!

    Alvin

    ReplyDelete