Saturday, June 2, 2018

A Date with Audrey, gifts from Tiffany's

Acrylic on gessoed aluminium panel, 18 x 14"
painting #262, 2018

This painting was inspired by the iconic film “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” in which Audrey Hepburn plays the role of Holly Golightly, a naive, eccentric socialite in search of a wealthy man to marry.  The movie also stars George Peppard, who plays the role of Paul, an unpublished writer and kept man who recently moved into a NYC apartment in the same building she lives in. The filmed is based on Truman Capote's novella of the same name and was directed by Blake Edwards.  

Holly: I don’t want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I’m not sure where that is but I know what it is like. It’s like Tiffany’s.
Paul: Tiffany’s? You mean the jewellery store.
Holly: That’s right. I’m just CRAZY about Tiffany’s! 

I came across the new revamped Tiffany perfume and bottle last fall in a cosmetic brochure. The instant I saw it, the whole narrative popped in my head. It is by far the most expensive prop I’ve ever purchase for a painting since it was priced at $150. It is a marvel of design and comes in Tiffany's signature robin egg blue box. The image of Audrey Hepburn that appears on this calendar is credited to the Hulton Archive, circa 1950's.

Audrey Hepburn is one of only four actresses to have won the EGOT, which is comprised of being a recipient of the four major American entertainment awards; an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and a Tony. She was also revered for her humanitarian work as a UNICEF Goodwill ambassador. The part of Holly Golightly would earn her an Academy Award nomination for best actress in a leading role. 

-SOLD by Galerie de Bellefeuille in Montreal.