Sunday, February 11, 2018

French Kisses Deux, un hommage à Robert Doisneau


Acrylic on gessoed aluminium panel, 18 x 12"
painting #260, 2018

Just in time for Valentine's Day, this is a follow-up painting to French Kisses (painting #247, 2017). Retaining the same theme, I'm paying an homage to French photographer Robert Doisneau (1912-1994,) a photojournalist who became renown for his street photography especially around Paris.

"Chez Gégène, 1947" is from the Robert Doisneau- Graphique de France 1993 calendar. Chez Gégène is a restaurant with a terrace and dancefloor. The institution opened prior to World War I (1914-1918), more than 100 years ago. It's located in Joinville-le-Pont, 9.4 km from the center of Paris in a southeastern suburbs of French Capitol.  The image depicts two couples kissing on the terrace. This photograph is more than 70 years old, so the younger couple would now be around 90 years old. 

In the first French Kisses painting, I chose the month of February since my wife Suzanne and I got married on Valentine's Day. For this work I chose the month of June. The year 2018 will mark 30 years since we purchase our house, and moved in on June 24, 1988. Symbolically, we looked like the younger couple when we made that house a home....we now look like the older couple.  

I'm going to Paris later this spring. Time allowing, I might try to have lunch here! 

To acquire this painting, please contact:

Galerie de Bellefeuille
1367 avenue Greene, 
Montreal, Quebec H3Z 2A8 Tel: 514.933.4406
e-mail- art@debellefeuille.com

-SOLD