Monday, July 27, 2009

The Deep End

Acrylic polymer emulsion on gessoed hardboard
33,5 cm diameter round, 2004, #65
Private collection - Halifax, NS

After getting out the WD-40 a few times, I have finally started to paint again after my long vacation, my return back to normal life and my 9 to 5 job. I felt very rusty to say the least. I've made some progress on my current painting, and hope that I'll be able to complete it by weeks end.

The above image is of my son Jean-Luc at the age of 8, at the salt water pool in Fundy National Park, NB. At the time, he was taking swimming lessons and had just passed level 1. He was actually jumping from the 3 to 4 feet deep level when I took the photo study. For the painting, since he was between the age of 8 and 9, I took out my magic wand to change the numbers at pool side, to reflect his age at the time. It is a piece about conquering one own fears.