Thursday, July 31, 2008

Potted Geranium

Acrylic on gessoed hardboard,
14 x 18'', 2005, # 90
private collection - Boston, Ma.

Potted Geranium was created three years ago. The subject matter for this painting is indirectly related with my previous posting- Raspberry Cordial with Anne Shirley, so I was tempted to add it to this blog. The setting is from one of the upstairs bedrooms in the Green Gable House in Cavendish. I was fascinated by how the diffused light worked it's way through the petals of the blooms and on the dark wood surface. Luckily, I had brought my camera along during our visit.

I took a bit of artistic licence to change a few things within the composition. Part of the sewing machine is from the Green Gable House and the central part that would include the Singer logo was from a sewing machine that once belonged to my grandmother (b. 1889). The geranium was originally in a large can that had been covered with some Mac-tac that boasted a printed ivy motif. I opted to use a empty Campbell's Soup can - New England Clam Chowder to give a bit of contemporary realist twist, that also made reference to one of my favorite Pop Art artist, Andy Warhol.

12 comments:

  1. J'aime ! la composition, le mélange insolite de l'ancien et du neuf, j'aime la lumière. Alvin, tu n'as pas fini de nous surprendre !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potted geraniums are my favorites; they always make a house feel like a home and you have conveyed this beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luminous, Alvin--looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Painting Alvin! ~Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alvin,
    I love the lighting in this piece!
    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. REally great. The soup can adds a lot of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice touch with the soup can!! Beautiful painting. If you are ever in Pittsburgh you would enjoy the Andy Warhol museum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is superb! I love your attention to detail and your bright and true colors. And also, thanks for giving information and backgrounds on your subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific - luminous - you really nailed the polished wood surface on the machine!

    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing to me (and somewhat embarrassing), that as small as the art world seems at times I still find new and wonderful work almost daily. Because you so generously cared to comment at my blog I have now found your jaw dropping talent and have bookmarked your blog. Thank you for your kindness, but also for the inspiring images. I am more than pleased to make your acquaintance and sorry it has not happened until now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete