Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Gum Balls

Acrylic on gessoed hardboard
5 3/8 x 3 5/8'' (13,7 x 9,3 cm)
2010 - #188

Growing up in rural New Brunswick, there was a tiny convenience store about ¼ mile from our house that had a red gumball machine. Inside the glass globe was not only bubble gums, but tiny charms & trinkets that were sparsely inserted. Kids at school would sometime give me their pennies so I could buy them gumballs, but what they really wanted were the charms. This one time, the prettiest girl in my class (and of the whole school as far as I was concerned) gave me a whole quarter. Can you imagine the look on my face when the ''red puffy heart'' inscribed ''I Love You'' dropped into my hand? She was also the girl whom I gave my prettiest Valentine on February 14.


Once I started doing the drawing for this mini painting, I realized that a lot of the gumballs were not exactly round. Also that because of their glossy finish and the light, the colors bounce off each other. I somehow wishes the gumballs would have been more defined, but I painted them as they were behind the glass. This painting will be included in the Christmas exhibition of Handworks Gallery in Saint John, NB.


-SOLD

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it!!!! I can't believe it so small and so gorgeous. I just finished my first 6 x 6 and it's going to take some getting used too. This post is fabulous because one of my favorite childhood memories was going to the Diner Bell with my Grandpa in downtown Goreville (small town USA) and he would always give me a dime to get a bouncy ball out of a machine just like that. Good memories!!! You have stunned me again, can't wait to see your next one:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alvin,
    Oh, another master piece! Thank you for sharing your very cute love story:).
    Cheers, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  3. bright warm colors for such a cold dreary day... thanks for the pick me up!

    ReplyDelete