Sunday, December 6, 2009

Olympic Confectionary

Acrylic on gessoed hardboard, 12 x 12''
2009 - #178


Corner Store no. 2 completed in 2007, was from of the same store located on Barrington Street in Halifax, NS. This time, I painted the other end of the sign which boast not one, but two of these Coca-Cola buttons. Just in time for the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympiads with Coca-Cola being a major sponsor of both the Olympic Torch Relay and the Games themselves. I was actually painting the word Olympic on the sign as the Olympic flame had reached Halifax and ice hockey superstar Sidney Crosby (member of team Canada) was passing the flame to Sarah Conrad, a Nova Scotia snowboarder vying for her second Winter Olympics, who got to light the cauldron during the community celebration at the end of the day. Wishing them both the best of luck in their quest for GOLD!

-SOLD

10 comments:

  1. This turned out great, Alvin!

    The building and sign have such an old-time feel to them. I love the overhead lighting fixture too! They don't make them like that anymore, now do they?

    A wonderful painting which captures a slice of nostalgia!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful rendition. Great blog and great work. Congratulations on the Lolipops. That too was a great painting and I did see it in the Artists magazine. My favorite magazine on the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coca Cola may be 'lite' but the verb is still spelled 'light' north of the border anyway.
    Great painting!!

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dean, Gary & Bruce for your comments and stopping by. English is my second language, so thanks for pointing that out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see that you are a miniature artist too!! Always a challenge with miniatues.
    Thanks for joining into my blog Alvin. Looking forward to see more of your great detailed art pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe of the crisp and brilliant colors that you have achieved in this painting. Nice work. BTW - I have a link to your blog from my site. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alvin,
    This is a very strong composition, and a cool painting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this Alvin. reminds me of my love affair with American pop art in my teens in the late 60s.
    Cheers,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! You do definitely capture the light! I must learn to use acrylics for now i am a watercolor painter though. Great paintings you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this paintng! The Coke sign brings back memories. Great job!

    ReplyDelete