Sunday, August 23, 2009

Vine-ripe tomatoes

Acrylic on gessoed hardboard, 11 x 15''
#83, 2004, Private collection

I am currently working on painting #10 for my fall solo show. In the meanwhile, I am posting a painting that was completed in the late fall of 2004. The image was inspired by the tomatoes themselves. It was about the time that I first notice that you could buy tomatoes that were not detached from one another but still on the vine as a grouping.

My mother-in-law was visiting us for a week. While we were at work, she had washed the dishes and did not know where we stored the 2-liter Pyrex measuring cup, so she left it on the counter, right next to the tomatoes.....and the conceptual idea was born. I added the knife as an element of transformation and to create tension. As Mary Pratt once said, ''What is art without tension''.

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful painting...the colors are so rich! Nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you got those lines so straight and even. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much about this painting that I like... but I will restrain myself to commenting on only a few things.
    :-)
    I love the green and red together. As you well know, they set each other up for that "pop" factor. I love how you have repeated the greens in different hues - in the placemat and in the grass.

    And finally - you are such a master of glass effects. This painting is so appealing for many reasons, but the fact that all of us can identify with the subject matter gives it a "down-home" feel.

    Bee-uuu-tiii-ful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean. Mike & Joanne, many thanks for your visit and comment. I always view this image as a reminder to my mother in law, who passed away the following year. She was a great person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ow...masterful work! Wish I could hang in your studio and see you paint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always bright, réalist and graphic! i like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alvin!

    I love the contrast between the sleek/shiny measuring cup against the rough lines of the place mat.

    Expertly done....as always!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabio, Regis & Dean,
    Thank you for stopping by and for leaving wonderful remarks.

    ReplyDelete