Thursday, December 16, 2010

Candy Apples

 Acrylic on gessoed hardboard
5 3/8 x 3 5/8'' (13,7 x 9,3 cm)
2010 - #189

I've always associated Candy Apples with Country Fairs and amusement parks. I actually did these Candy Apples myself during the fall of 2009. The recipe I was using had specific instructions to follow to in order to concoct a perfect candy. While heating the mixture I was using a candy thermometer to a achieve a specific boiling point. Everything was going well until the doorbell rang. When I returned to the pot, the mixture was boiling on overdrive. There were hundreds of air bubbles trapped inside the bright red sauce which remained during the actual apple dipping. The bubbles did add another dimension when I set them outside in our back yard to take the photo study and the sun rays flooded those air pools.

On a sad note, because of the over boiling, the candy became too hard and we couldn't even bite into them. Oh well, the sacrifices an apple has to go through for the sake of art.

-SOLD

12 comments:

  1. Boy do these bring me back! I haven't had a candy apple since childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love the light quality in your paintings, wish you could send some of that light to the bleak northwest ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome as usual Alvin! Wow, your really cranking these out. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Alvin - fabulous as always!

    Happy holidays to you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alvin, this is stunning!!! The candy apples just sparkle. Absolutely amazing what you achieved and on such a small scale, really terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Alvin, I feel you surpass yourself with every painting. Those apples seems mighty tasty to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work! Love the bright colors, especially in the candied apples and Monopoly of Lollipops. Just bought a great book, "Exactitude Hyperrealist Art Today" edited by Maggie Bollaert which you would LOVE. Next time we go to NYC, I'm checking out the photorealist's museum. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy. I love the highlights on the apples!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you to everyone for your nice comment. I do have the Excatitude book, and had a chance to visit Plus One Gallery in London last spring (gallery that published the book).....great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this painting!!! And you have some pretty cool works! Congratulation! :) Check my blog http://paint4bliss.blogspot.com/
    Greetings, Ildikó

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful
    Work
    good creations

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh they are so realistic !! i'm hungry now, well done, your lights are just perfect !

    ReplyDelete