Friday, July 30, 2010

Red Current Jelly

Acrylic on gessoed hardboard,
14 x 11'', #182, 2010

This painting is a companion piece along with a smaller painting done in 2007, ''Un déjeuner sur l'herbe''. The photographic session was done a the same time, it just took a while to get back to the imagery which I was longing to do for a while now. This painting appears comptemporary, but could have been painted 125 years ago. Wilkin & Son started producing preserves in Tip Tree, a village in Essex England back in 1885. The Bordallo Pinheiro cabbage plate on which the jelly sits on is from a Portugal pottery house which started producing ceramics in 1884.

My first trip to Europe in 1986 included spending a few days in the south of Portugal. In the wake of my recent trip to the south of England, it seemed fitting to bring these two items together at this time.

About a month ago I was contacted by the Elliott Fouts Gallery requesting my participation in an Invitational group show ''The Still Life'' that is schedule to run from October 2 til November 5 , 2010 in their gallery located in Sacramento, California. It was an offer I could not refuse. Not only to have the opportunity to show my work across the continent, but among the other participants are four artists which I have been in contact with and are part of the artist links on this blog. It's a small world folk!

This painting is the first of three to be part of this show.
-SOLD

17 comments:

Pierre Raby said...

Wonderful painting Alvin!

Carol said...

Nice work, Alvin! I like your compositions and the use of the pattern on the plate is a nice touch.

Jason de Graaf said...

Nice one Alvin! Good luck with Elliot Fouts.

Chris Beck said...

Beautiful piece, Alvin!! Congrats on being invited to participate in the still-life show at Elliott Fouts. I'm hoping to get over to see the show.

bricarwaller said...

Stunning! It looks like you could just reach out and touch it. Amazing!!!

Nick said...

Its a beautiful painting, the jam and glass are really well done. Also its brilliant that you are gaining interest from the gallery.

Nancy Goldman said...

Congratulations on being invited to participate in the still life show Alvin. I really like your paintings and this one especially.

Alvin Richard said...

Thank you all for visiting my blog and leaving a kind remark about the painting and the upcoming group show at Elliott Fouts Gallery..........too kind!

Kari Tirrell said...

Excellent work, as always. Congratulations, you deserve it!

Paul Coventry-Brown said...

Another great job Alvin and the way you captured the light, excellent! I

Robin said...

Your work is superb...would you like to be featured on my blog...The Showcase...let me know..Id love to showcase one of your favorite pieces....Im glad I found your blog..!

Dean Grey said...

Congrats on getting into that gallery show, Alvin!

Man, that label on the jelly jar looks like it was done by a machine! I don't how you managed to paint type so perfectly but you did!

Impressive!

-Dean

Alvin Richard said...

Thanks again everyone....too kind!

r garriott said...

Outstanding work...!

Andrea Kowch said...

Amazing work! Congrats on the show!

isabel said...

todas tus obras son geniales !!! Felicidades!!!. te voy siguiendo....un abrazo.

Evelyn said...

Wow, this is really beautiful.