Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Losing my marbles

Acrylic polymer emulsion on gessoed hardboard, 14 x 20''
Created - February 20- March 24, 2009. #156.

This painting was somewhat challenging on a cerebral level. I spent three days on the drawing alone. With just pencil lines and no contrasting definition, I kept getting lost in the lines around the rim of the mason jar that it lying on it's side. I always use a grisaille technique with Payne's grey acrylic paint. Once the paint has dried and cured, I them apply the colors on top in transparent layers. My goal is always to try to pull it off with my signature bright colors.

In this case, for the exception of the marbles and the out of focus greenery on the bottom, it was pretty much a monochromatic type of imagery. In the end it did work out, as the main focus here was to showcase the marbles with this glass on glass study. The jars may appear to be floating, but they are actually on a glass pane shelf that is recessed in a deep window. I had not painted this large in a year, and working on a flat surface is always a challenge in itself. I've had this title on the back burner for a while, it seemed like a propos painting to use it on.

-SOLD

16 comments:

  1. You're very focused for not getting lost with these transparencies - a strong and well executed painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alvin, this is fantastic! The glass is so beautifully done I feel I could reach out and touch it! I also love the play on words... your sense of humor coming through! I cannot imagine how difficult the last in the series will be, but I know you will do an amazing rendering of the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any words to appreciate you. These are mind blowing...Wowwwwww...BTW Alvin I have started a new blog dedicated to my sketch work — Art on Sketchbook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pierre, Joanne & Megha,
    Thank you for stoping by and posting enlightening comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was rewarded by stopping by! Beautiful painting, beautiful series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very appropriately named blog, enjoy looking at your work. r.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a stunningly gorgeous painting. It's perfect. I am highly impressed with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, Hélène, Rahina & Maria...many thanks for visiting and your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredibly beautiful – such a complex piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvellous! You have tons of patience, my friend. But the result is a painting full of light and air--not labored at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your the man my friend.... This is just a killer painting...
    On a scale of 1-10.. its a 20

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, childhood memories...I love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous as always! I looove the jar that's laying on it's side. I also love the light-filled look that you've achieved.

    ReplyDelete