Sunday, November 18, 2007

June Blooms in a Red Glass

Acrylic polymer emulsion on canvas, 16 x 16"
Painted Oct. 20 - Nov. 18, 2007, #138.

I'm back. I took more time off than I originally anticipated. There were lots of loose ends to tie up. I felt I also needed time to recharge. To evaluate where I was to go from here, set new goals, and to feel the hunger again. I always find it difficult to return to the brushes after a few weeks without painting. It is always intimidating to start on a white flat canvas with pencil lines and knowing that I have to create of 3-D image.

This was an ambitious painting after my hiatus. It is the type of imagery where it becomes difficult to know when to stop. When I did the photo study, I decided to crinkle the foil paper a bit to create more of a mosaic pattern. The red glass is from IKEA, and the flowers from our garden.

Private collection

13 comments:

  1. The foil and refections -- YIKES !!! I salute you !!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the use of the very dark background here. It intensifies everything, doesn't it? Dazzling and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable...another great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alvin, your paintings are AMAZING. I'm just sitting here stunned, June Blooms in a Red Glass is just terrific. Can I add you to my list of links? I can't wait to see more of this work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Alvin! This is a truly striking piece of art...what genius to crinkle the foil. This is a wonderful "return" after your time off...just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beauty, Alvin! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, These are some of the best acrylic paintings I've seen. Very impressive. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allo Alvin,

    I've been a fan of your work since you sold me your holstein cow !! (It's still hanging on my kitchen wall) I'm good friends with Amber Lounder and I was reading her blog and she has you as a favorite. So Voila ! You're evolution as an artist is amazing!! Marie Surette Anderson. I'll be blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the effect you've achieved with the crinkled foil. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again everybody for your kind comments, they mean a lot to me. I will be posting a new painting soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful colour perfect realism bravo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep looking at this image and think how nuts it would be to paint...but then painters are inclined to do these things...how else are we to challenge ourselves! You've done a good job here :)

    ReplyDelete