Monday, September 24, 2007

Child's Play




Acrylic polymer emulsion on gessoed hardboard, 12 x 12"
Painted August 25 - Sept. 2, 2007, #127.

Crayons have been around since 1903. They are still the first tool of choice for all novice artists. This box set is a replica of a 1903 design. Monopoly made it's debut in the early 1930's. It is believed that more than 700 million people have played this board game.This painting has a feeling of nostalgia, yet it is as relevant today as when I was growing up. When you have children, you do revisit your own childhood on a variety of levels.
-SOLD


On a sadder note. One of my all-time favorite artist, Ken Danby passed away yesterday during a canoe outing in Algonquin Park, Ontario. He was 67 years old. His art book Ken Danby: A New Decade purchased in the late 1980's was a great point of reference, and influence me greatly in my pursuit toward a higher form of realism. I had the great pleasure to view his solo show, Earth, Sky and Water; Ken Danby - Landscapes at the Bernaducci-Meisel Gallery in New York City during the month of November of 2002

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alvin,
    I really admire your work...I think it's wonderful. Would it be ok if I had you listed as a link on my site for favorite artists blogs? I just want to double check with folks. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alvin,
    Just writing to mention how much I enjoy your paintings. I'm new to the world of blogging and I recently discoverd your work - very impressive! Have you ever seen the work of Janet Fish? Highly colorful work with lots of light. I also like your painting of the red 1971 Chevy Malibu. Your comment about it made me chuckle. My first car was a 1969, dark green, Pontiac Executive, basically a 'hand-me-down' from an uncle. Like all cars of that era it was huge, fast, and strong no matter how much of the body fell apart from rust!
    My best,
    RS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alvin,
    Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I'm really out of my comfort zone because I've only been painting with oils for two months. I struggle with every painting...there's so much to learn and at this point I'm missing pastel. Artists like you motivate me to continue!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean,
    Patience and perseverence are the greatest quality you need to learn anything. You already have the talent!

    -----------

    Hi Richard,
    I did not know Janet Fish, thanks for sharing and I appreciate your comments and taking the time to write, most enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete